10.8.12

STRESS LESS

While stress can be harnessed and used for good, it's still something that can make a horrid situation go from bad to worse. I find this especially true when it comes to working through a creative process – and no one wants a shortage of creative solutions at a critical point in time! One of the strangest symptoms of a stressed out Lucy include compulsive nose rubbing (Ben reckons I'm like that mouse that lives in the teapot from Alice in Wonderland, but I need more than jam on the nose to calm my nerves!). What do you do when stress hits?

Everybody feels it differently. Apart from rubbing my nose, I get the usual treatment – headaches, knots in the stomach, irritability, and an overactive brain when it comes to sleep time. Luckily, I've found some ways that help to overcome the stress hurdle that work for me. What's your stress-buster?

Removing yourself from the situation – Getting outside, getting some fresh air, and trying to switch the topic your brain is thinking about can really help. Sometimes this is difficult to do when you're restricted by a deadline. You know it will do you good to rest your mind for a bit, while your strung-out brain yells at you "no don't! You'll be wasting your precious time! Going round and round in thought circles is much more productive!" Er, no. Even if it's just for 10 minutes, do something else. I like to go and walk the pooch around the block, cook or bake some food, or talk to someone. Anything to try and wean my mind off the stressful subject for a while, so I can come back with a clearer mind. I think this works well for arguments, too.

Making a cuppa – OK, so this might not work for everyone, but I find this especially helpful at night when you suspect a restless night of tossing and turning is on the way. There's something so comforting about a hot drink in your hands. But what I also find comforting is how old the act of drinking tea is. Thousands of years ago people picked various flora and brewed it in water for its healing properties. Imagine everyone sitting around in nature, wearing their loin cloths (haha!), sipping on tea. Way back then, when the notion of a 'frozen computer' wasn't fathomable, nor was a 'traffic jam'. You are taking part in this process that hasn't changed a whole lot since ancient times. Doesn't that kinda make that tea a bit special? Have you lost track of what you were thinking about? I thought so!

Will it matter in five years time? – Asking yourself this question can really put things into perspective. Are you stressed out because you can't find a car park, or because you can't find the right gift for your sister, or because someone just turned up wearing the same outfit as you? Honestly, will that really matter in five years time? What's more, will you even remember it happening in the first place? This is a good one, and while it doesn't always work, it's great for those times when you just need to snap out of it and get on with things.

Have you found a way that kicks stress in the butt? While it can't always be avoided, it can usually be minimised... which makes everything a hell of a lot easier.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous11.8.12

    I've been having huge problems managing my stress and anxiety over the past year with my mum's terminal illness and eventual death (and we planned and had our wedding over that time). Have had some medication but now we're trying for kids, we're trying to tackle it in other ways - I'm about to try acupuncture! Will be excited to see if it works!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh that is very stressful indeed – I don't think 'making a cuppa' is quite enough in those situations! I've heard really good things about acupuncture. My husband, sister-in-law and stepfather have all tried it and really felt the benefits. Good luck with your first session! x

      Delete